Kampiringisa National Rehabilitation Center in Mpigi District was established in 1952 by ordinance Act as a Boys’ Approved School to cater for boys who needed care and protection, those beyond parental control and delinquents. The Children Act Cap 59 sub section 96 transformed the school into a National Rehabilitation Centre with one wing declared for girl delinquents.
Objective of the centre
The centre is to detain, retrain, rehabilitate and integrate the children taken to the centre back into the community. It caters for children between the age of 12 to 18 years. The period of stay at the centre depends on the gravity of the offence, the maximum being three years.
Ongoing activities at the centre
Casework, counselling, tracing and resettlement, life skills and vocational skills training for the children, hygiene and health management, recreation, farming; opened up 19 acres of land for crop farming, spiritual development in liaison with NGOs Screening, rehabilitation and integration of street children